Friday, January 13, 2012

My Writing Process...If That's What You Would Call It


I have always felt that my writings could be better in some way. I have never developed a true writing process, but I don't think it’s time that I did. 95% of the time when I need to write something, whether it be a paper, response, or even a blog like this, I don’t sit down and plan what I will write. If I am writing a five page essay for an exam, I will then take the time to sit down and generate one, but other than I rarely make one. I usually feel it is best to just sit down at the computer and write freely what comes to my mind about the subject at hand. However, this does not mean that I am a one-and-done guy; I like to break the work up and pace myself. 

               After I have finished with all of the writing, I will then go back and re-read what I have written and then be done with it. I prefer not to use so much time on planning what I could be writing when I could actually be writing and letting my mind run. I feel that I write best when I am letting it all flow from my head at the moment, instead of basing it off of some notes I had written down. I feel that if I did that, I would be limiting myself and my brain in what I could create, as opposed to simply writing whatever I think of and then checking it over afterwards. I think this process works out for me pretty well most of the time, as long as I have a decent knowledge of the topic I am writing on. If the subject is one I am not too familiar with, I will research it, take some notes, and then let my mind do the rest. One of the biggest problems I have with writing in general is not having a true sense of how to properly write a well-constructed paper. I never took a legitimate English class in high school, so I never had the training of writing a “three-point paper” or anything like that. I feel that for not having taken any legitimate classes that I am a pretty good writer, but there is always something to improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment